Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tips for the Inca Trail

Here are some tips from our experience doing the Inca Trail: 

Ask your hostel for a scale - If you are using a porter and need to know how much your bag weights just ask your hostel for a scale. Most hostel or hotels have a scale you can use to measure the weight of your bag.

Rent a trekking pole
- I recommend getting one walking stick for the trek. I had two and found two kind of awqward at times but would definitely recommend having at least one. Even my brother who was opposed to having one used his. And if you shop around, you can rent one cheaper then renting it through your trekking company.


Buy coca candies and leafs - One the way to the trail they stopped at a store where you can buy stuff for the trek. I recommend buying coca candies and leafs to help with the altitude particularly on the second day. The guides will show you how to chew the coca leafs properly and they do help with  altitude.

Keep a pair of dry clothes - Make sure you have a set of dry clothes you can change into at the end of the day. Each day our clothes were all soaked from the rain and changing into some dry warm clothes was the only thing that would keep me warm. This includes a dry pair of shoes. I petty much wore  the same wet clothes each day to ensure I had a dry pair of clothes for the end of the day. 

Buy a rain poncho - If you are doing the trail during the rainy season you will need this. My mom made me pack a rain poncho which I was sure I would never use and on the Inka Trail I pretty much lived in it. No matter how waterproof your jacket is supposed to be,  they will get soaked after 6 hours of walking in the rain. A rain poncho is the only way I could keep my clothes and backpack dry and I was really grateful I had one. Half our group wore them and those that didn't have one wished they did.

Bring extra plastic bags - Your stuff is going to get wet so you are going to want bags to seperate your wet from dry clothes. I also found putting small plastic bags around my feet under my shoes helped keep my feet dry.

Don't expect to sleep well -
No matter how tired you are from the trek don't expect that you will sleep well.  Even with the mat, you still feel like you are sleeping on the ground.


No hot shower or place to charge your battery - During our briefing we were told you could pay for a hot shower and charge your camera battery on the third night...this is not true. The place where you used to be able to shower and charge your electronics is currently closed down so save some battery life and if you want, you can have a freezing cold shower which I did and despite the cold - it was worth it.

Hire a porter - The porters are supercreatures. I don't know how they do it but they manage to carry 25kg on their back while running up the same path we are struggling up with only our small knapsack. You can just hire one for the second day (the toughest day) if you want to save money.  Everyone in our group hired a porter to carry their stuff.

Headlamp required - Good luck finding your way around camp or going to the washroom without a headlamp/flashlight.

Visit Manchu Picchu in the afternoon - All the groups arrive in the morning and all the tours seems to take place in  the morning so stay past 1pm if you want to see it with less of a crowd. Manchu Picchu tend to be cloudy in the morning clearing up around 10 so if you are just visiting it don't feel rushed to get there first thing in the morning. We actaully prefered it after 1pm when it was all sunny and most of the people had left,  just sitting on the hilltop admiring it.


Book 4 days/4 nights for more time at Manchu Picchu - If you want to spend more then just the morning at Manchu Picchu book 4 nights, so you spend the last night in Aguas Calientes. We were really happy we did this because we could stay at Manchu Picchu as long as we wanted. Otherwise you arrive, have a tour and then only 2 hours on your own to enjoy it before getting the bus back to Aguas Calientes.

No comments:

Post a Comment